2021-2022 LMSA-West Canopy Scholarship
The LMSA-West Canopy Scholarship was developed in 2021 to assist future LMSA healthcare providers to provide better care to Spanish-speaking patients. The CanopyLearn Medical Spanish is a self-paced eLearning course and was created to eliminate the language barrier by empowering healthcare systems to invest in recognizing and supporting their bilingual staff, build capacity for deploying reusable multilingual content, and capture reimbursement for language services from payers. Three awards are awarded each year to one high school student, one medical student, and one resident/fellow.
- Must be committed to pursuing a career in medicine and dedicated to serving the Latino and underserved communities.
- Applicants should demonstrate a desire to advance the state of healthcare and education in Latino and underserved communities through leadership in extracurricular activities and/or membership in civic organizations.
- Must be either a high school student, medical student, or resident/fellow in the 2021-2022 academic year.
- Students are eligible to receive the scholarship regardless of immigration or citizenship status, as long as the university they attend will allow them to enroll and register for classes.
- Strong consideration will be placed upon financial need.
- Must be a dues-paying pre-med member of LMSA-West. (Can contact LMSA Executive Board for financial assistance if needed). Membership website: https://lmsa.site-ym.com/general/register_member_type.asp
- Must be a resident or attending school within the LMSA-West region states (Arizona, California, Hawaii, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, Washington, Wyoming, Alaska, Montana, and Idaho).
- LMSA-West reserves the right to withdraw or withhold scholarship pending submission of necessary documents.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: February 28th, 2022 at 11:59 PST. All application materials must ARRIVE by this date!
It is the student’s responsibility to submit a complete application and all supporting documents by the deadline. Extensions will not be granted. Incomplete or late application materials will result in ineligibility. All application materials should be submitted via email and attached in a single Adobe Acrobat PDF format titled LMSA-West Canopy Scholarship – Applicant Last Name, First Initial 2022 to VP_Scholarship@lmsa.net.
- COMPLETED APPLICATION: Application must be typed and shall not exceed the space provided. Signature page must be submitted by email. The signature page must be RECEIVED by February 28th, 2022 at 11:59 PST.
- VIDEO: A 60-90 second video explaining why it is important to learn Medical Spanish. Please upload it to your Google Drive or YouTube. When sending us the application, please paste the URL to the clip. It should be noted that the URL must be accessible to anyone who has the link. Acceptable format if uploaded to Google Drive is MOV. Please do not send any materials not requested.
- TRANSCRIPT(S): Submit unofficial transcript(s) from your respective institutions. Transcripts must be from the registrar’s office and show a cumulative GPA and course work to date. Official transcripts of winners will be required. (Residents/Fellows are exempt.)
- ENROLLMENT VERIFICATION: Please submit a letter from the registrar verifying enrollment at the institution you are currently attending or will be attending in the 2021-22 academic year.
- FINANCIAL AID INFORMATION: Please include a complete copy of your 2021-2022 Student Aid Report (SAR) and Financial Aid Award Letter. If you do not qualify for financial aid or did not apply, or have any extraordinary, unforeseen, or very unusual expenses, you may include up to 200 words on a separate sheet of paper. This should be separate from your personal statement. (Residents/Fellows are exempt.)
Application requests, questions, and other inquiries should be sent to the above address or emailed to VP_Scholarship@lmsa.net Please title your email: LMSA-West Canopy Scholarship – Applicant Last Name, First Initial 2022.
Determination of which scholarship to be awarded will be based on the information provided on the application and at the sole discretion of the selection committee.
|Name (Last, First)|
|Address (City, State, Zip)|
|Permanent Telephone||( )||School Telephone||( )|
|Birth Place (City, State, Country)|
HIGH SCHOOL EDUCATION
|City, State||Graduation Year:|
|Current Class Standing:||____ Freshman ____ Sophomore ____ Junior ____ Senior|
UNDERGRADUATE AND/OR POST-BACCALAUREATE EDUCATION
|College Name:||Dates Attended:|
|College Name:||Dates Attended:|
|College Name:||Dates Attended:|
|Residency Program:||Dates Attended:|
|Fellowship Program:||Dates Attended:|
CURRENT CLASS/PROGRAM STANDING: ________________________________________
FAMILY/PERSONAL FINANCIAL STATEMENT:
|2021-2022 Academic Year Expenses (estimated)||2021-2022 Academic Year Income (estimated)|
|Tuition||$||Expected Student Salary||$|
|Books and supplies||$||Scholarships/ Fellowships||$|
|Room and Board||$||Federal Pell Grant||$|
|Total Cost of Education||$||Total Projected Income||$|
Please explain if you do not qualify for financial aid or did not apply, you may also specify any extraordinary,
unforeseen, or very unusual expenses. You may include up to 200 words on a separate sheet of paper. This
should be separate from your personal statement.
2020 (last year’s) Annual Family Income:
|2020 Applicant Gross Annual Income||$|
|2020 Parent/ Guardian 1 Gross Annual Income||$|
|2020 Parent/ Guardian 2 Gross Annual Income||$|
|2020 Spouse Gross Annual Income||$|
|2020 – Total Gross Income||$|
|Household Savings/ Investments||$|
|Total number in household (including applicant)|
|Total number of household members ≤18 years old|
CERTIFICATION PAGE: Student must read and sign below to be eligible for consideration.
I have read and understand the scholarship eligibility criteria. All of the information provided is complete and accurate to the best of my knowledge. By signing below, I am certifying that I am a student with the honest intentions of entering a professional medical career and possess the heartfelt desire towards serving the Latino and other underserved communities with their healthcare needs.
I also certify that I will apply this award toward expenses related to my education at a four-year university. I authorize LMSA-West to share or publish my application information when necessary and give permission to share this information for the purpose of recruitment, public relations, or possible fundraising. Application materials will become the property of the LMSA-West Scholarship Committee and will not be returned.
Signature_____________________________________ Date ______________________________
IMPORTANT INFORMATION AND INSTRUCTIONS:
- Please make sure you filled out the application completely.
- Falsification of information may result in termination of any scholarship granted.
- The number of applications received greatly exceeds the number of available scholarships. All decisions/notifications are final.
- Incomplete or late application materials will not be considered.
- Please DO NOT contact LMSA-West for application verification. Award recipients will be notified three weeks after the application deadline.
This scholarship is run by LMSA-West, a non-profit student organization.
Please send completed and signed application with all necessary documentation as early in the application period as possible. Incomplete or late application materials will not be considered.
RECEIPT DEADLINE IS February 28th, 2022 at 11:59 PST Email to: VP_Scholarship@lmsa.net
Please title your email: LMSA-West Canopy Scholarship – Applicant Last Name, First Initial 2022.
You may submit this application with the following items via e-mail ONLY:
- Completed application
- Personal Statement
- Letter of Recommendation
- Enrollment verification from school
- Financial aid information
Application questions, and other inquiries should be sent to the above address or emailed to VP_Scholarship@lmsa.net
THANK YOU FOR APPLYING FOR THE LMSA-WEST Canopy SCHOLARSHIP. LMSA-WEST WISHES YOU SUCCESS!