Acceptable Use Policy
The purpose of Odyssey Charter School's computer network resources is to be certain that the school's staff, students and families have appropriate and productive communications with electronic communities around the world. This policy includes all e-mail and Internet services and all Internet service providers such as AOL , Earthlink, etc, when used in association with Odyssey Charter School.
The electronic resources provided by Odyssey Charter School can only be used to promote the purpose, mission and goals of the school. These resources are provided to facilitate access to information and resources, promote educational excellence, and enhance communication between Odyssey Charter School and the community.
The Internet is a network connecting thousands of computers throughout the world. The Internet can bring a wealth of educational material to the user, but may also contain material that is objectionable. Odyssey Charter School filters web sites believed to be inappropriate for students. However, Odyssey Charter School cannot and does not represent that inappropriate or objectionable material can be completely filtered. Parent(s) and/or guardian(s) must consider this in allowing their children access to the Internet either at school or at home.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
A. Access to District Network Resources
- Staff, students, and members of the community may be given access to the Odyssey Charter School’s computer network resources. This access, including account and password, must not be shared, assigned or transferred to another individual.
- Access to the School’s computer network resources may be suspended or terminated if terms and conditions of this AUP are violated. Prior to a termination of access to the School’s computer network resources, the user will be informed of the suspected violation and given an opportunity to present an explanation. The user may request a review hearing with the school’s Executive Director within seven (7) days of notification if the user feels that such action is unjust. After the review, access may be terminated if the Executive Director denies the appeal.
- Each student must have a signed Network Access Form before access is granted to the School’s computer network resources. Upon entrance to Odyssey Charter School, a student must have a completed Network Access Form signed by the legal parent or guardian..
B. System Security
- Computer users may not run applications or files that create a security risk to the School’s computer network resources. If users identify a security problem, they must notify appropriate administrators immediately.
- Any user reasonably deemed to be a security risk, or discovered to have a proven history of problems with other computer networks, may be denied access to the School’s computer network resources.
- Users should immediately notify a teacher or school administrator if they believe that someone has obtained unauthorized access to their private account.
C. Respecting Resource Limits
- Staff, students, and community members will not use the school’s technology services to post chain letters or engage in spamming. Spamming is sending messages to a large number of people, or sending a large number of messages to a single person, with the intent of annoying users or to interrupt the system.
D. Illegal Activities
- The School will cooperate fully with local, state, or federal officials in any investigation related to illegal activities.
- It is prohibited to utilize the School’s technology services to sell or purchase goods and services without prior approval of the appropriate administrator.
- Attempting to gain unauthorized access to the School’s network resources or go beyond authorized access is prohibited. This includes attempting to log in through another person's account or accessing another person's files.
- Vandalism will result in cancellation of privileges to the School’s computer network resources and may result in suspension from school. Vandalism is defined as any malicious attempt to harm or destroy data or equipment on any computer network.
- It is prohibited to use the School’s computer network resources with the intent of denying others access to the system.
- Advertising will be permitted on the School’s computer network resources only with the prior approval of the appropriate administrator.
E. Intellectual Property (Copyright)
- No copyrighted material is to be placed on the School’s computer network resources without written permission from the copyright owner.
- All users of the School’s network resources must agree not to submit, publish, or display any type of material that violates this AUP.
- Polite and appropriate language is expected at all times.
- Abusive messages are prohibited.
- Harassment is prohibited. Harassment is conduct which is sufficiently severe, persistent, or pervasive that it adversely affects, or has the purpose, or logical consequence, of interfering with a user's educational program, or creates an intimidating, hostile, or offensive environment. Behavior that continues after an individual is informed of its offensiveness may constitute evidence of intent to harass. If told by a person to stop sending messages, the sender must stop.
- Odyssey Charter School does not warrant the functions or services performed by the School’s computer network resources. Resources are provided on an "as is, as available" basis.
- Opinions, advice, services and all other information supplied by third parties is for informational purposes only. It is not guaranteed to be correct. Users are urged to seek professional advice for specific individual situations.
- Any software available from the School’s network resources is not guaranteed as to suitability, legality, or performance by Odyssey Charter School.
- Staff, students, and community members agree to indemnify and hold harmless the Clark County School District for any liability arising out of any violation of this AUP.
H. Electronic Mail and Real-Time Conferencing
- It is not the intention of the system administrators to inspect or disclose the contents of electronic mail or computer files sent by one user to another, without consent from either party, unless required to do so by Odyssey Charter School, local, state, or federal officials. Electronic mail is not private. As with written communication, users should recognize there is no expectation of privacy for electronic mail.
- Users are expected to remove e-mail messages in a timely manner.
- All users must promptly report inappropriate messages received to a teacher, supervisor, or the system administrators.
- Students should not reveal personal information such as addresses, phone numbers, passwords, or financial information to others. If student work is identified, only the first name, grade, and school should be listed. Private information may not be posted about another person.
- A cancelled account will not retain electronic mail.
- The system administrators reserve the right to terminate access to the District's computer network resources if this AUP is violated while using real time chat features, including video conferencing.